Fiction Reading Comprehension Passages and Questions (Print & Digital)
Fiction reading comprehension practice is engaging for students and no-prep for you with this print and digital resource! Students will love reading these high-interest, original passages and answering the accompanying comprehension questions. This resource makes a great addition to a fiction unit or to use for test prep anytime during the year!
Each of the 6 short stories includes 3 questions covering a variety of comprehension and word analysis skills. The passages are written approximately at a fourth grade level.
You'll receive TWO versions of the fiction passages and questions:
- a digital, self-checking set of 18 task cards hosted on Boom Learning℠. These are completely online - no printing, cutting, or laminating! Students will practice TEI skills like drag-and-drop and selecting answer choices!
- a multiple choice printable PDF with one passage per page - and a BONUS question for each since I had a little extra room! Answer keys are included.
Skills covered include:
- making predictions
- drawing conclusions/making inferences
- identifying the conflict/solution
identifying cause and effect relationships
identifying sensory words
identifying the theme
- identifying the narrator
- identifying the genre
- locating “right there” answers
- using knowledge of context clues, synonyms, root words and affixes, multiple-meaning words, and dictionary skills
Unfamiliar with Boom? Please read to the end for more information. You can also preview the Boom cards by clicking here.
Recommended Grade Levels: 3, 4, 5
Number of Pages: 13
Number of Boom Cards: 18
Supported Standards: Virginia English SOL 4.4 and 4.5
What Teachers Are Saying:
"This is a great resource that I have been able to use with my students and will continue to use as a review with my students to help prepare for the SOLS and something that they can successfully do independently." - Jill
About Boom Cards:
To use Boom Cards, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards. You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with "Fast Pins" (play provides instant feedback for self-grading Boom Cards). Fast Play is always a free way for students to engage with Boom Cards decks. For additional assignment options you'll need a premium account. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our premium account. Click here for details.